Unit Manager (Residence Dining)
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the “Western Experience” – an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Hospitality Services at Western University is passionate about delivering superior quality in food, nutrition and service, and prides itself on setting standards that others often try to replicate. Our focus continues to be our students as well as the University and London Communities.
The Unit Manager will be responsible for providing “on site” stabilization through leadership and direction to the Hospitality Services operation. The role will provide appealing, high quality food, in harmony with a highly productive, profitable and customer-driven service base. The Unit Manager will formulate and facilitate an atmosphere conducive to a home-like feeling of comfort for the residence in conjunction with a healthy and safe working environment.
- 2 Year College Diploma in Hospitality Industry
- University Degree in Hospitality Management and Administration preferred
- Red Seal Certification preferred
- 5 years’ experience in the Hospitality Industry; 2 years’ management experience
- 5 years’ kitchen management experience in a unionized environment preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of food service-style food preparation methods and food safety practices including the operation of kitchen equipment
- Knowledge of food service purchasing practices with the ability to plan and order to meet menu and volume requirements
- Knowledge of sustainability in the food service sector
- Knowledge of approaches and techniques to market, promote and design products including product placement, merchandising, creating displays in the unit, placement of signage and point of purchase (POP) materials
- Knowledge of approaches and techniques to maximizing traffic flow within the unit and identifying opportunities to increase sales
- Demonstrated managerial skills with the ability to develop a strong staff team coupled with an ability to work effectively as a member of the Hospitality Services management group
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to coach team members as well as support internal/external customers
- Results orientated with an ability to handle many tasks and maintain a high level of individual and team performance
- Positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Business management skills with a proven track record of achieving growth and hitting corporate objectives
- Judgment, analytical and problem solving skills with a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and opportunities
- Ability to establish effective routines for excellent communication with all members of the team to maximize productivity
- A creative and resourceful nature with a genuine interest in engaging others
- Courteous and considerate of others, setting a personal example of what is expected from others
- Evidence of a genuine enthusiasm and a passion for the profession
- An ability to know when to take a “hands-on” approach and when to quietly observe a situation
- A strong commitment to ensuring a respectful and accepting workplace for all
- Flexibility to work a variable schedule (including nights and weekends)
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online reference job #24076 by midnight on December 02, 2021.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Join & Grow With Us
CCUFSA members benefit from the opportunity to share ideas, real world experiences and build solutions with like minded colleagues, all food service professionals with a common goal.